Licensed; In Compliance Phase.
Operational: December 12, 2018
The California Energy Commission approved this project's Application For Certification on May 31, 2012. The Commission monitors the power plant's construction, operation and eventual decommissioning through a compliance proceeding.
Committee Overseeing Amendment Proceeding:
Karen Douglas, Commissioner, Presiding Member
Andrew McAllister, Commissioner, Associate Member
- Original Proceeding
- September 14, 2007 - Application for Certification (AFC) filed
- October 31, 2007 - Commission accepts AFC as "data adequate."
- December 11, 2008 - Commission staff releases Preliminary Staff Assessment.
- November 12, 2009 - Commission staff releases Final Staff Assessment.
- May 9, 2011 - Committee releases Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- June 14, 2011 - Committee release Presiding Member's Proposed Decision Errata
- March 28, 2012 - Committee releases Revised Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- May 31, 2012 - Committee releases Revised Presiding Member's Proposed Decision Errata.
- May 31, 2012 - Commission approves Application for Certification.
- Amendment Proceeding
- May 2, 2014 - Petition to Amend filed
- December 17, 2014 - Commission staff releases Amendment Preliminary Staff Assessment.
- February 17, 2015 - Commission staff releases Amendment Final Staff Assessment.
- June 9, 2015 - Committee releases Amendment Presiding Member's Proposed Decision.
- July 30, 2015 - Commission approves Amendment.
- December 12, 2018 - Amendment complete, power plant on line and producing power.
General Description of Project
Carlsbad Energy Center LLC (Carlsbad Energy), the original applicant, filed an Application for Certification on September 14, 2007 (07-AFC-06) proposing to build the 558 megawatt (MW) combined-cycle Carlsbad Energy Center Project (CECP) located on the existing Encina Power Station (EPS) power plant complex in the city of Carlsbad in San Diego County. That proposal was approved by the Energy Commission on May 31, 2012.
On July 30, 2015, the Energy Commission approved Carlsbad Energy’s petition to amend the proposed facility to a more flexible 632 MW fast-start simple-cycle generating facility. The Amended Carlsbad Energy Center Project (ACECP) is located on the northeastern parcel of the 95-acre EPS complex. The ACECP will provide power generation reliability in the San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) service territory.
Prior to construction of the ACECP, scheduled to begin in March 2017 and continuing through November, 2018, Carlsbad Energy demolished three above-ground fuel oil storage tanks (ASTs) to provide space for power plant construction. This area will form the 30-acre footprint upon which the ACECP power plant will be constructed.
The EPS, as well as all above ground EPS facilities west of the North County Transit District (NCTD) railroad tracks, will be decommissioned and removed upon the successful completion and operation of the ACECP.
Energy Commission Facility Certification Process
The California Energy Commission is the lead agency (for licensing thermal power plants 50 megawatts and larger) under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and has a certified regulatory program under CEQA. Under its certified program, the Energy Commission is exempt from having to prepare an environmental impact report. Its certified program, however, does require environmental analysis of the project, including an analysis of alternatives and mitigation measures to minimize any significant adverse effect the project may have on the environment.
For Questions About This Power Plant Contact:
Scott Seipel,Manager, Environmental Business
For Questions about this Certification Proceeding Contact:
Siting, Transmission and Environmental Protection (STEP) Division
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-15
Sacramento, CA 95814
For Questions About Public Participation In Certification Proceedings Contact:
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-12 Sacramento, CA 95814
Toll-Free in California: 1-800-822-6228
News Media Please Contact:
Media & Public Communications Office
Carlsbad List Serve
Automated Email Notifications